The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) released the 2012 issue of the Statistics of Income Bulletin last Wednesday. The issue includes data on individual income tax returns during the 2010 tax year.
During the 2010 tax year, almost 143 million individual income tax returns were filed with the IRS. The number of individual tax returns increased 1.7 percent from those filed in 2009 (about 140.5 million). The 2010 individual income tax returns reported an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $8.1 trillion—up 6.1 percent from the 2009 tax year.
The following statistics were released by the Statistics of Income (SOI) Division’s recent Statistics of Income Bulletin as well:
• the number of partnerships in 2010 increased 2.5 percent from 2009
• partners increased 6.1 percent since 2009, and the number has increased 9 times out of the last 10 years
• about half of partnerships and over a third of partners were declared in real estate and leasing sectors
• nonprofit charitable organizations (not including private foundations) that were exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code reported $1.5 trillion in revenue and $2.7 trillion in assets
• in 2008, transactions without a loan between large domestic corporations owned by a foreign entity and other foreign parties equaled about $1.187 trillion
• the non-loan transactions between the foreign-owned corporation and other foreign parties decreased 36 percent since 2006 (which equaled $1.86 trillion)
If you’d like to view the entire Statistics of Income Bulletin, you can download the documents off of the IRS’s official government website. If you’d like to receive a paper copy, you can write the following address and provide a subscription rate of $67 ($93.80 foreign rate):
Superintendent of Documents
U.S. Government Printing Office
P.O. Box 371954
Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7954
Source: Internal Revenue Service